ILLINOIS FARM FAMILIES UPDATE
On September 13, Illinois Farm Families, the collaborative effort of Illinois Corn Marketing Board, Illinois Beef Association, Illinois Farm Bureau, Illinois Pork Producers Association, Illinois Soybean Association, and Midwest Dairy Association, took Field Moms, their friends and guest healthcare professionals on a tour of Dean’s milk bottling plant in Huntley, Illinois and Linda and Dale Drendel’s dairy farm in Hampshire, Illinois. Here is a look at what the tour accomplished:
- Beforehand, 60% of the moms felt they were not knowledgeable about dairy farming, but after, 100% of the moms felt they were at least somewhat knowledgeable about dairy farming.
- In terms of purchasing and shopping behaviors, after the farm tour, moms were 30% less likely to shop for name brand milk and nearly twice as likely to shop for private label dairy products.
- Moms’ concerns regarding dairy products and dairy production dropped in all categories, most notably:
- 40% of moms were concerned about the safety of dairy products before the tour, yet after the tour none of the moms had concerns.
- 60% of moms were concerned about antibiotic use on dairy farms before the tour, yet none of the moms were concerned about this after the tour.
- 70% of moms had been concerned with how artificial growth hormone is used in dairy farms before the tour, but only 10% were concerned about this after the tour.
- 80% of moms were concerned about the nutritional value of dairy products before the tour versus on 10% after the tour.
Moms’ thoughts from the dairy tour:
“No matter what type of label is on the cow milk you buy, you should know that it is healthy and safe.” – Heather Guido
“I am surprised by how technology has improved the speed of milking cows and milk processing.” – Sarah Decker
“Organic milk is not any better for you from a nutritional standpoint than conventional milk.” – Jill Thurmond