USDA Announces PACE program for Illinois Farmers
- Post Application Coverage Endorsement – An insurance product to cover the risk of not getting farmers in-season nitrogen applied.
- Our internal data indicates the number one reason farmers are hesitant about putting a higher % of N on in-season, is fear of not getting it applied. We also know in many years, the concern of not getting N on in-season also leads to over application and more nitrogen being susceptible to loss (the I’ll add an extra __ units now just in case mindset).
- Sales closing, cancellation and termination dates – March 15, 2022
- Acreage Reporting Date – July 15, 2022
- Premium Billing Date – August 15, 2022
- Contract Change Date – November 30, 2022
- Can be purchased with your Yield Protection (YP), Revenue Protection (RP), and Revenue Protection with Harvest Price Exclusion (RP-HPE) policies Only. Area Revenue Protection Insurance (ARPI) do not qualify.
- Illinois Corn Growers Association was proud to help develop this with National Corn Growers Association, Ag-Analytics Technology Company, LLC, Meridian Institute and others who submitted to the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation under provisions in the law allowing for private development of new crop products.
“Meeting the goals of the IL Nutrient Loss Reduction Strategy are a top priority for IL Corn. Giving farmers a tool to allow them to confidently apply nitrogen in-season when the crop needs it, not only makes good economic sense for the farmer but good environmental sense too. PACE will allow farmers to trust the science for their application timing and have peace of mind that if mother nature throws a curve ball, they’ll be covered,” says Megan Dwyer IL Corn’s Nutrient Loss Reduction Manager.
Other Important Resources / Information
- Farmers must apply a minimum of 20% but less than 75% of their total nitrogen pre-plant
- The insurance period corresponds to a specific post-application window to approximate the V3-V10 growth stages based on planting date and growing degree day in your county. We know this vegetative stage consists of rapid corn growth and a window where nitrogen applications can be most efficient
- Indemnities are paid based on a calculation and depending on the level of (%) of nitrogen application that was unable to be applied
- Post Application Coverage Endorsement
- Eligible PACE Counties
Please talk directly with your insurance provider for more information or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org