Flex Fuel Vehicles
E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. However, E85 can often be an all-encompassing word for ethanol blends above 15%. E85 is an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy and is intended for use in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs). Besides its superior performance characteristics, ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline; it is a completely renewable, domestic, environmentally friendly fuel that enhances the nation's economy and energy independence.
Why choose a Flex-Fuel Vehicle?
When you choose a flex-fuel vehicle, it's a smart choice that has a big impact. The cost is the same as vehicles that use only gasoline. E85 is a great choice for you, for American energy independence, and for a better environment.
You may have a Flex-Fuel Vehicle already.
- There are already over 15.5 million flex-fuel vehicles (through model year 2016) on the road today. Major automakers, including General Motors, Chrysler LLC, Ford, Mercedes, Toyota and Nissan, will build even more flex-fuel vehicles in the next five years, in a wide variety of models. Every day, more automakers are coming on board.
- Most flex fuel-vehicles have exterior badges designating them as E85-capable. But not all flex-fuel vehicles are labeled as such. You may have a flex-fuel vehicle and not even know it. Find out here.
Be as flexible as you want.
- A flex-fuel vehicle gives you the power to choose gasoline or ethanol-enriched fuel. And that flexibility is important.
- Many stations offer E10, which today's cars can use. And more and more fuel stations carry E85 every day. But the fact is, E85 is not available everywhere yet. So make the choice when it's convenient. Every time you choose E85 at the pump, you're adding more power to the ethanol movement.
Make a choice that works for you and the environment.
- The environmental benefits of E85 are well documented: approximately 40 percent fewer tailpipe emissions and greenhouse gases. Plus, ethanol is renewable - and perhaps most importantly - it's a non-petroleum alternative that's available today. So whenever you see E85 at the pump, it's a simple choice you make.
Flex-fuel is here to stay.
- America is committed to flex-fuel. Automakers and ethanol producers are making the investment. Now it's time to do your part.
- Choose ethanol-enriched fuel whenever you see it at the pump. Choose flex-fuel for your next vehicle. And choose cleaner, renewable E85 when you've got the opportunity.
- "The use of E85 fuel helps to reduce toxic air emissions, and thereby promotes lung health, through the reduction of gasoline components such as benzene and other aromatics. We see a positive environmental benefit from this cleaner-burning alternative fuel."- Harold Wimmer, CEO American Lung Association of Illinois
For additional information on E85:
- American Lung Association of Illinois-Iowa
- Growth Energy
- University of Illinois Extension
- Renewable Fuels Association
To find a fueling station near you: